Sightseeing, Souvenirs & Sports

Day 1 in Toronto

Having arrived late the night before, we didn’t have anything to eat. Luckily a couple who were also staying in the flat had some spare food and offered us blueberry bagels and eggs – not a combination I would have ever thought worked, but they did. We got the train into the city centre and decided to get an idea of Toronto by using our city sightseeing bus tickets which made us feel right at home as they were actually red buses imported from London! Yonge & Dundas was our first pit stop and we wondered around the main square to find somewhere for lunch. As I have always wanted to go to a Hardrock café, that was coincidentally where we ended up grabbing yet another enormous sized burger with too many chips and unhealthy sugary drinks. We decided to walk around the rest of the day as Toronto didn’t seem all that big to discover. As a result, we ended up popping into the Hockey hall of fame which we then decided was too expensive and continued on our way to peruse the spirit of hockey souvenir shop and find the city hall where there was live Mexican music!

Our walk turned into a 10-mile round trip consisting of 21,707 steps in total (courtesy of my Fitbit), with a short visit to the Inuit art gallery and urban garden which was closed; however, it did have a cool little waterfall. As we were pleasantly surprised to find the ice hockey world cup had started we decided to walk over to the distillery district to explore the world cup fan village. It was a fun and busy part of the city with a combination of modern and old rustic buildings holding cafes, shops, market type stalls and a lovely quaint little shop selling various flavours of vinegar and oils in old school barrels. Of course, there was the current hockey game at that time on the big screen in a little square where many swedes were gathered to watch their home team. We eventually arrived at the big village where there was a stage (again) with the game on a big screen, followed by a US magician lighting hockey sticks on fire and attempting to get the crowd excited as he showed off his juggling skills. There were lots of stalls, where Tim managed to get yet another compliment on his clothes, this time, it was his Nepalese shorts! After queueing for about 15minutes we decided to leave the line for the ice hockey skills/shooting/practice section as we would have been waiting for at least another hour if not more. It was a shame as it would have been fun to embarrass ourselves in front of lots of people.

Our last stop for the day was the CN tower, once the highest tower in the world recently topped by the Burj Khalifa standing at 830m tall, 277m higher than the CN tower. Canadians have apparently talked about how they could try and make the CN tower taller, however, all the options just seem a bit unnecessary. We barely had to queue which was lovely and were able to see amazing panoramic views of the entire city at sunset as well as man-up and stand on the glass floor where I became slightly dizzy seeing just how high up we were. There was a bit of a wait to get back down the tower, with foreigners who have evidently never heard of queuing or waiting their turn (rude!). We chose to get the train back to our accommodation as my feet had quit and decided to stop functioning.

As we were walking from the station, we witnessed a lady clip the curb on her bike and come crashing down onto the road, fortunately she was fine, albeit a little shaken. Our first day in Toronto came to a close as we reached home, shoved a pizza in the oven and reflected on the number of dogs we had seen and my Canadianism of the trip (saying oat instead of out).


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s